Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

POST 4 - Raising the Ideal K9 Partner and the Perfect Companion

A Word on Progress, Terminology and the Basis of this Blog


Progress is something that is made over time. How much time is required is not important to me, so long as the potential to achieve goals is there and we work to our full potential to get there. Nick is showing great potential (see discussion on "indicators" below) so, in my mind, it's best to begin to develop this, as it is shown to me, to help it along. I never rush progress, not for myself or anyone else's agenda and definitely not to fill a blog with material.

As I document this, there may be some disagreement with my use of terminology, thus the reason I include video to further illustrate what I am attempting to describe. If there is one thing that I have learned it is that when two trainers discuss something they are often coming to the same conclusion but, due to differences in the terminology that they use or their interpretation of it, they cannot seem to agree. I do my best to describe events and subtle details, but the video will need to fill in the voids. Take observations from the video and apply whichever jargon/terminology that you wish, it is now your experience for you to interpret.

The basis of this blog, from the outset, was primarily to document the raising of a puppy for a career in service but also as a companion/pet (thus the title of this blog). Not all of the dogs that I have raised have gone into service, with some going into companion homes. Therefore, if you follow this blog, be warned that I may "stray" in directions related to either function (service or pet) , but understand that the preparation process is, in my opinion, appropriate for the development of a sound, stable, working partner (service dog) or an ideal companion (pet) as well. 

Finally, this is not a promotional tool for myself or to sell anything, nor is it a warm and fuzzy pet blog about puppies or even a training guide for that matter. This is the account of a process with a specific goal. If it helps anyone through the puppy stage, fantastic. If a prospective buyer in the service field which Nick is intended to be placed should happen to see this blog and inquire, great. 
But, to be completely honest, this blog is primarily for me, to share and document one of the few things I am passionate about and have found to be extremely rewarding, that being working with animals. I am documenting it so that I have something to look back on when the memories fade... when my wife and daughter have to remind me to "Remember the time when..." and we can hopefully look back upon this and take pride in our accomplishments and the fantastic dogs that we had the opportunity to work with. 

Now, with this is cleared up, back to work...

The First On-Line Track for Nick

Nick, in my experience, was indicating to me that he was ready for his first on-line track so I provided a simple area to work in and made the search quite easy (short, straight line).

What indicated to me that Nick was ready? 

Nick has a strong bond with me already, as shown in previous videos, but, more specifically, in the free search video in the last post. Call it "pack drive" or whatever term you wish to attach to it, he has a strong desire to interact with me, to work with me. However, on the flipside of this, he is far from needy. Actually, he is extremely resilient and independent, two aspects of Nick that seem to increase daily. His time alone in the kennel is a calm event from the moment the door closes. During our outings he will, on occasion, run off to the pond to catch a quick dip on his own. However, if during his dip I should walk away and hide, he does not become frantic, he simply begins searching. He is quite driven to find things that escape him. He does not fall to pieces when I leave. 
He is not distracted by people or things in the environment (for the most part) which he has shown me when clients, friends, family and strangers come to visit on a regular basis. He works consistently and does not give up easily. However, being a puppy, the world is still new and there are many things that can create confusion. Knowing this, I keep it simple and only increase the difficulty in increments that I feel the puppy can handle. Nick is a particularly calm worker and, I believe, he can handle the pressure of the exercise that I set up for him, otherwise I would have simply stuck with the free searches and other exercises geared toward his ability. Another item of note... Nick was obnoxious the day the video was recorded, his intensity was through the roof. He exited his crate like a small tornado was nearly impossible to put a line on... this was the final indication to me that the moment was right to do this.

The purpose of this exercise is to provide an opportunity for Nick to experience a scenario where he can use what he has (keen nose, "pack drive" or want to be with me, natural motivation to search). However, during this searching exercise, my goal for Nick is to experience the following:
  1. I want him to explore and experience my disappearance, first-hand, and be drawn toward where I was last seen (pack drive or whatever you wish to call it) to initiate the search with intensity.
  2. I want him to move toward where he last saw me and experience an increase in the amount of scent that is present. 
  3. As much as I do not want him to "fail", I do want him to go off track, to realize that scent dissipates when he moves away from his target. This is why we do not lead or direct the puppy to the hidden person or item but instead allow them to make decisions, observe and experience the difference. In the video you will notice that my daughter does not restrain the dog or direct him. She simply runs along with him, allowing him to lead and work out the problem as he sees fit. 
  4. I want him to experience finding me, engaging me and the excitement that it brings while he takes in the scent around him. I would like this connection to be made as I feel that this end experience is what seals it in the mind of the puppy. Finding something that he is missing, accompanied by scent and the overall excitement of the moment. 
Note: This is a tall order for the majority of puppies (yes, this also includes some of the young puppies that I have raised in past).

Why? 
  • Unless a puppy goes about this exercise in a somewhat focussed manner, many of the experiences (from 1-4 listed above) may be overlooked by the puppy due to the stress/stimulation involved. In this instance, age and experience may play a role and, in time, they may improve.
  • Some (most) puppies do not "roll up their sleeves, dig in and get down to work", they instead run anxiously until they either find what they are looking for or, worst case scenario, shut down or become distracted with something else to occupy their minds (this last option should be avoided by the handler as it can create a behaviour pattern that is less than ideal... make things easier to start or limit the stimulus in the environment... see point immediately below). 
  • Some puppies need the instant gratification of a simple search where the reward is almost immediate, REPEATEDLY until they can settle in, get past the stimulation brought on by the exercise and take in everything involved (eg. stronger scent = closer to target of search)
  • Other puppies may not develop this at all. It just is not there. They may develop it through superficial means (teaching footstep tracking using food as a motivation as opposed to a person) but the inherent motivation required is not there***
*** I am not knocking the people who teach tracking using food. I know many good tracking dogs that have been prepared for competition using food and I am aware of a number of police service dogs as well as SAR dogs that have utilized food to revitalize the motivation to track (these dogs had the inherent motivation to track, however the handlers made mistakes that caused problems). I prefer not to start a puppy in this way... my personal preference... and one less crutch to remove on the way to my goal. I am not knocking the use of a ball at the end of a track however, the presence of a person is often more stimulating... and is ultimately what will be searched for in the end.


Ok, On With the Track Already!


I have not experienced this level of motivation to search (at this young age) since raising Carmspack Agro in 2007. I will provide the video of Agro as well (below) so that those of you who are reading this blog can see the similarities in the manner that both puppies work.



I gave my daughter the opportunity to handle this puppy, not because I thought it would provide "cute" video, but because she has natural, honest handling ability, something you do not find in adults who have had too much outside influence. She has had her fill of puppies over the years to the point where she is becoming more interested in the process than the puppy itself. We try, where we can, to allow her to develop her own handling skills and it shows. 
In this particular video, Nick is being restrained by a 9' Gripper® Leash that we had made for this purpose. My daughter allows the puppy to explore all areas and does not inhibit his movement, nor does she coach or guide him to my location. She simply keeps pace with him allowing him to search without hitting the end of the tracking line too hard and frustrating/distracting him from his task. You will notice (when my daughter is not blocking the view) that the puppy settles and begins catching scent above the ground and truly concentrates on determining where the scent in emanating from. This is not a random find made by a frantic puppy who has lost his owner, but a focussed effort. He does not become distracted by the presence of my wife (filming), my daughter, the leash nor the group of people taking an agility class in the field beside us (to the left) just out of view. He simply goes about his task and does it well. 

Carmspack Agro (see video below) was very similar in his approach to his first tracks. Agro, however, was particularly cold in comparison with Nick and other puppies I have raised and had less "draw" to me. His desire to partake in the work sessions with me was excellent, he was sound, responsive but just a cooler type.




Ball Play and other Related Activities


Nicks motivation to retrieve, play tug, ball etc. is... good. Nothing over-the-top or lacking, just a good start. I am always a bit leery of puppies that show me over-the-top motivation in this area. I just feel that this is something that should be developed between the handler and dog that will be used as a reward, not just a simple obsession which could create a potential training problem later on when the dog obsesses over the object and not the process to attain the object... hopefully this makes sense. 

Random items are often used for retrieval
exercises. In this case, a quick scan of our
recycling box turned up this can, which
provided a perfect training opportunity.
Aside from ball play, we have performed the odd (random) retrieval exercise, here and there on the property, using a number of items including a ball, kong, stick, gloves, hats, shoes, aluminum soft drink cans, plastic water bottle, a steel ratchet and a number of other items successfully. Items tossed into long grass or rough areas do not present an issue. He is, however, a puppy. He may not always deliver to hand, he may wish to take a detour and lie down to maintain control of the toy, or he may lose interest depending on his motivation level for that particular day.
I do not approach ball play with an immediate goal. I want to build the pup's enthusiasm for a toy, but I do so without great expectations, except that his enthusiasm will increase with time. I realize that, for many agencies looking for service dog prospects, strong ball motivation is important as it is used as a primary reinforcer for many exercises including obedience, search and tracking exercises, so I do make a point of developing this, sometimes too much in my opinion. I do not invest a great deal of money anymore into special toys, tugs, balls or gizmos to build this motivation. A simple Kong or tennis ball on a rope works fine. The type of toy is insignificant for the most part, but the manner in which it is used and managed is key, as well as it's flexibility to be used for varying exercises.


Living With Nick


So far, Nick has been the easiest puppy I have ever had to raise. House training has been a breeze due to his cleanliness and his interest in me. This is not to say that he does not venture off and return to me with socks, shoes, dish towels, items from the recycling bin including plastic and aluminum containers and much more. He does have to be watched to ensure that he does not chew on electrical cords or possibly ingest small items, but this is to be expected. Management is key in this aspect of puppy raising no matter what your final goal is. Besides, how else would I learn anything about him if I simply ignored him and left him to do as he pleased while I sat idle? 

Crate training (as expected) has improved. Nick goes willingly into his crate with little effort on my part. After "loading" him in manually for a week and feeding all meals in the crate, Nick has learned that the crate is a reasonable, rewarding place to be. Simple repetition, not much else, has improved this, paired with the reward of being fed. I prefer to feed the puppies that I raise in the crate for this reason, plus, if given a difficult-to-eat item such as a chicken carcass or nasty, stinky tripe, the area in which they eat is contained, sparing my floors from getting messy. It may also further reinforce that the puppy is to eat only in their crate, something my puppies all seem to do well and refrain from searching for and eating found items on the ground.

Next Post...


More with retrieval and some ball play, taking Nick on the road and what we do on our outings, as well as a follow up on a client who purchased one of the dogs that I raised that was intended to go to a placement in service.






No comments: