Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

POST 6 - Raising the Ideal K9 Partner and the Perfect Companion

Where Are They Now?

In an attempt to avoid going out into the rather mushy weather outside, I thought it might be a good opportunity to discuss where some of the dogs (that did not go into service) are now and what they are up to. This is a sampling of just a few...

Carmspack Badger

You have seen this one during his brief video appearances in this blog. He was intended to go into service however, due to circumstances beyond my control, he now resides with us and will not be leaving. My daughter and I share this dog now, each of us with different training goals. While she runs him in agility, I opt to track with him, do some scent work, some protection work but most of all, just enjoy him being around. His loyalty and trustworthiness rivals that of the Bouvier we lost last year and he fills the gap that was left quite well. He has adjusted to pet life very well. He is the only one of my dogs that I feel truly confident in when it comes to other people being present. Not sharp or blatantly suspicious, however, very aware of what is going on around him. He is different in personality from Nick in many ways, but the core of what he is, the basics are much the same... stability, neutrality, responsiveness and intensity.








Carmspack Fedor


Simon and Carmspack Fedor
Brother to Badger, Fedor possessed the same traits listed above. His owner, Simon Poulin, owner of Sargasso restaurant (http://www.dinesargasso.com). Simon, I believe, is as driven as his dog, always looking for new challenges. He has managed to put titles on Fedor in scent work, has worked him in tracking and the dog has been utilized to successfully track and find two lost dogs after being requested due to the dogs reputation in his area. 

Fedor was raised by me up to the late puppy stage and was intended to go into service. Simon, being a previous owner of a Carmspack dog contacted Carmen with a request for a young dog to which she recommended Fedor. Braving the Canadian winter, Simon made the trip to my home where he was introduced to Fedor, one of 5 dogs I was preparing at the time. A perfect fit.

Simon and Fedor searching during
nose work certification...
...eventually finding the scented article,
a pen in this case 
I am very proud of (but not surprised by) the transition that Fedor has made to being a house pet. His stability is very much as solid as his brother Badger.



Giving a photo op to a complete
stranger does not result in unwarranted
aggression or displays of affection, just
a calm, neutral response as he watches
his master take a picture.

Carmspack Aza

The reality is that not all dogs that are raised for service will develop to fill that role. In some instances, while the instincts are there, the desire to employ them to their fullest are not. As put by a good friend, some do not have "the fire in the belly".  
Carmspack Aza
Aza was just such a pup. He was raised, in part, by me along with his brothers Dunn (who went to a pet home/horse farm) and Silva (certified bomb detection dog). Aza was placed with a client of mine after their original dog was found to be inappropriate during a behavioural consult for aggressive behavior (their 9-month old puppy attacked and wounded my arm through a Carhart work coat and sweatshirt without provocation and with serious intensity). The family made the wise choice to euthanize the dog before it hurt anyone else, a very heartbreaking, upsetting situation to say the least.

Things happen for a reason, and this is no exception. Aza plays a role that is very significant and, although the photos may be somewhat cute in nature, the role as a trusted family member can be a difficult one to fill, especially if a dog does not possess a clear mind. He appears to do it well and without significant issues aside from barking at other dogs and the inability to keep him confined (he can escape almost any enclosure). Overindulged? Maybe (he has his own Facebook page). But his sound, stable nature allows him to take it all in stride. I understand that he is obsessive about fetch which is no surprise.
Aza in his element. Tracking was not his strong suit, but
napping has come naturally. There are roles to be filled
and this is no exception. 
Very content being with the family
Notice the expression while he is being embraced by a
visiting relative? Neutral, relaxed and content







































Why Have I Included This Post?

I believe it is important to always provide the complete picture.

The truth of the matter is not every dog that I have raised for service has, or will make it to their original intended goal. Sometimes goals change along the way, whether it be due to the dog itself or external factors out of my control, it's important to be flexible and prepared to change plan if necessary. 

Some might consider this post an admission of failure... I personally do not.

The dogs that I have raised have all filled a purpose. None have ended up in shelters, unwanted or unable to do the job they were assigned to or euthanized due to behavioural issues. All are manageable, confident, enjoyed and respected and provide a benefit to someone's life. Personally, I consider this a success and proof that the preparation process has prepared them well enough that they can fill the role that they are most suitable for... but there is one underlying, common element in this process...

The dogs themselves.

Every dog that I have raised through this program has been reasonable. I have never seen a hint of unwarranted aggression towards myself or any other person. I may not have had the "warm and fuzzy" feeling toward each of the dogs that I have raised, but I have never been concerned with their reactions to stressful situations. For lack of a better word, I think "Trustworthy" is a term that I could use along with "Reliable" to describe what I have experienced. These are two words that I wish I could attach to the majority of GSD's that come to me for private training but unfortunately the words "erratic" and "sharp" come to mind more often.

What's Up Next For Nick?

I have a great, long, video which has some hidden gems for those teaching retrieval. I say hidden because most of what you will see is an exercise in patience and allowing a puppy to fill in the blanks. I am working on editing the video so that it is a bit more condensed and interesting, but still providing the viewer with an understanding of the length of time that was really involved. Related to this video, a modified version of an exercise I use for teaching directed search (which is more of a directed retrieve in this video). It is an example of how I create spontaneous exercises that are tailored to the puppy and the moment.

No comments: